Last week I was involved in moving software solutions from one server farm to another.
The transition plan was straightforward:
Most of the servers were windows servers, so we didn’t have issues with updates etc.
The preconfiguration phase was done back in December 2018 and been waiting for the final step.
The overall transition went pretty good. I would say that we predicted and covered 90-95% of configuration changes. Although we missed some places. The list is not that huge, but I find it quite interesting and wanted to share.
Here is the list of issues we encountered:
Given the fact that some of the code is edited directly in the database procedures, PowerShell scripts and config files, it's hard to relay just on source code repository in the first place.
I wonder how much of this could have been avoided if we would use docker. Perhaps not all issues, but even the hardcoded values would work.comments powered by Disqus